Wednesday, June 5, 2013

EOC: Week 10: Advertisement- I Love New York







"IIIIIIII love New York!..." I just can't seem to get this song out of my head. Maybe that's one of the reasons the ad was so successful back when it was made. When New York was having a hard time getting tourists to come visit [and spend money] due to the city's bad rep, New York needed a good idea to draw in more visitors.

An advertising campaign came up with a simple phrase that made a huge impact. "I love New York". The commercial incorporated different characters from all of the different Broadway plays and musicals. "I love New York" was the jingle and only lyric of the entire song. The different performers sang the same phrase and the same tune in each separate scene. The idea was to express how great Broadway is and that "there is only one Broadway." True. There is only one Broadway, and it's magnificent. New York just needed to prove it.

Being a theater fan, and previous performer myself, I really enjoy this ad. I get excited when I see characters from a few of my favorite musicals show up on the screen; including a few plays I have performed in (not on Broadway of course). The song is catchy and, because it’s only one lyric, it is easy to remember. I have to admit I do “love New York”, although I didn’t need a commercial to tell me. Either way, the commercial was a hit, and created a whole new outlook for outsiders of New York city. Today we still see souvenirs, t-shirts, key chains, and more with the famous phrase “I Love New York”. It’s exciting to know just where that phrase started.

No comments:

Post a Comment