Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Final Project: Analysis of Project in the Real World

Creating this advertising campaign has been a helpful experience to get a taste of what it might take to create a real campaign someday. It required a large amount time and research that needed put in to have an understanding of competitors, target market, and originality. "In an overcrowded, competitive marketplace, relevant and engaging branding can ensure efficacy for a quality product, service, group, individual, or commodity. Not only does branding identify and distinguish, it builds equity (the value of the brand or group)." (Advertising by Design. John Wiley & Sons P&T. Page 49) It was fun being creative and coming up with a slogan and idea to advertise my product choice.
I chose Oreo because it is a popular cookie - Americas favorite cookie (something I discovered throughout my research)  as a matter of fact. Oreo has many fans and always has creative and effective advertising. Something unique about the brand that gives me a good vibe about them is their Twitter account. Whoever runs the Oreo Twitter account makes an effort to reply to many of the tweets directed at them. I always see Oreo responding to fans and tweets they have been tagged in. I've had a personal experience on two separate occasions where Oreo has replied to Twitter posts I have mentioned them in.


"People do not usually say, 'I don't want to be more creative.' In any discipline, from science to music, creativity is valuable."(Landa. Advertising by Design. John Wiley & Sons P&T. Page 32) Coming up with the creative content for an advertisement was slightly more challenging than I expected it to be. Being a creative person I thought creative content and ideas would come easily for me; however, coming up with something original and effective was challenging. That moment when they idea finally hit me it felt as if a light bulb went off!

"Several steps are involved in concept generation:

> Defining the problem

> Preparation: gathering and examining materials

> Incubation

> Generating and selecting ideas

> Assessing ideas"


 (Landa. Advertising by Design. John Wiley & Sons P&T. Page 74)

Once I had my idea pictured in my head, it was time to make it concrete. Once I had everything ready for the photograph I wanted to snap for my ad, I realized it was going to take longer than I thought. Since I am no professional photographer, it was challenging coming out with the right angles for my picture. I took over forty shots before I had the exact photo I wanted to use for my ad. During the process I learned where the product should be placed in the photograph in order to grab the most attention. When my initial pictures were coming out boring with no focal point, I realized I needed to capture the Oreo more focused, up-close, and centered in order to give it the attention it needed as a promotional ad.

In the end I was pleased with my photography. My completed advertisement turned out almost exactly how I envisioned it. If I were to do this this campaign in real life and had money to spend on it, I would hire a larger team to support my idea. Hiring a photographer, stylist, model, and graphic artist would be an excellent touch to my advertisement. I enjoyed being creative and creating and ad campaign for one of my favorite cookies. I think I could be very pleases working with advertising in the future. Advertising is more interesting and a more thought out process than I would have ever imagined.


No comments:

Post a Comment